PK SUPPORTS THE D.E.P.D.C.
PeaceKeeper Supports the Work of the DEPDC
The Development and Education Programme for Daughters and Communities (DEPDC) is one of the organizations that is near and dear to our hearts here at PeaceKeeper Cause-Metics. The DEPDC is a non-profit NGO (non-governmental organization) situated in Thailand.
Over the last 20 years, the DEPDC has been dedicated to preventing the trafficking of women and children into the sex industry as well as forced and exploitative labor situations. It offers free education and vocational training, as well as full time housing for young girls and boys.
PeaceKeeper has donated to the DEPDC Mekong Youth Net and Mekong Youth Union programs. These programs aim to:
- Create a group of youth leaders to network against human trafficking in the Mekong Sub-region.
- Educate potential leaders on how to start a prevention program at the community level in their own countries.
- Form a link between individuals and NGOs for future collaboration and support.
- Share the experience and knowledge of DEPDC with others.
- Support the start of a children’s and women’s rights protection center covering the entire Mekong Sub-region.
Women and girls enrolled in the program receive:
- An introduction to the Mekong Region and its politics, social problems and changes.
- Cultural studies regarding the language, ethnic culture and hill tribes of the Mekong region.
- Specific social problems facing the indigenous peoples of the Mekong such as poverty, HIV/AIDS, drug addiction and lack of education, etc.
- International issues such as human rights abuses, trafficking, illegal drugs, etc.
- Research skills such as basic research methodology and report writing.
- Management training to teach skills such as team building, organizational development, office work and administration.
- Sociology studies such as women’s studies, hill tribe family studies and family planning.
(Above: Young women of the DEPDC trying out PeaceKeeper products.)
PeaceKeeper is proud to support the work of the DEPDC, and encourages you to learn more about their efforts by visiting their website at www.depdc.org